• A pneumonia of unknown cause detected in Wuhan, China was first reported to the WHO Country Office in China on 31 December 2019.
• The outbreak was declared a Public Health Emergency of International Concern on 30 January 2020.
• WHO is working 24/7 to analyse data, provide advice, coordinate with partners, help countries prepare, increase supplies and manage expert networks.
• On 11 February 2020, WHO announced a name for the new coronavirus disease: COVID-19.
How the COVID-19 pandemic found it way to Nigeria
• Nigeria Recorded it first case of COVID-19 pandemic in South West region of the country, on 27 February 2020 when an Italian citizen in Lagos tested positive for the virus, caused by SARS-CoV-2.
• On 9 March 2020, a second case of the virus was reported in Ewekoro, Ogun State, a Nigerian citizen who had contact with the Italian citizen who was the index case.
Since then, the case of the pandemic virus continue to rise in nigeria.
On the 7th of July 2020, 503 new confirmed cases and 15 deaths were recorded in Nigeria
No new state has reported a case in the last 24 hours.
Till date, 29879 cases have been confirmed, 12108 cases have been discharged and 669 deaths have been recorded in 36 states and the Federal Capital Territory
The 503 new cases are reported from 20 states- Lagos (153), Ondo (76) Edo (54), FCT (41), Enugu (37), Rivers (30), Benue (24), Osun (20), Kaduna (15), Kwara (13), Abia (9), Borno (8), Plateau (6),Taraba (5), Ogun (3), Kano (3), Kebbi (2), Nasarawa (2), Bayelsa(1), Gombe (1)